Pride 2019 has been joy-filled and full of celebrations, however, not all occurrences have been positive or welcomed.
Here is a rundown of some of the top LGBTQ+ news stories you might have missed over the past week:
1. There have been a number of killings in Detroit and North Carolina.
2. The administration of Donald Trump refused to fly the Pride flag at U.S. embassies.
The Trump administration is rejecting requests to fly the Pride flag at these U.S. embassies pic.twitter.com/0T88SK5gJ5
— NowThis (@nowthisnews) June 11, 2019
3. Billy Porter explains why representation is key.
4. Artist Lizzo has a message about allyship.
5. Anti-trans violence is declared an epidemic.
The Human Rights Campaign called the fatal anti-transgender violence in America an epidemic in 2018.
In 2019, all known violent deaths in the transgender community have been Black trans women.
Here’s how three Black trans women are responding. pic.twitter.com/InivF8NtWV
— AJ+ (@ajplus) June 12, 2019
6. 34 organizations signed on to repeal an anti-loitering law that they argue unjustly targets trans and gender nonconforming people.
7. HELLO! Black gay men, there is a matchmaker who wants to help you find lasting love.
8. A suspect was arrested for the murder of a transgender woman in Dallas.
9. A law prohibiting consensual same-sex relations has been struck down in Botswana.
10. In 2016 an LGBTQ rap league was founded. I’ll let you judge the talent for yourself.
‘Zami’: The Black Queer Book by Audre Lorde You Need to Read this Pride Month!
17 Must see Black Lesbian/Queer web series, movies and documentaries
Lessons on dating from 2016
2 Comments Add yours